Front of House - Job Description
The Castle Cinema is an independent community cinema in Hackney, and the reincarnation of one of London’s earliest cinemas! Built in 1913 as The Castle Electric Theatre, the original cinema closed in 1958 but re-opened in 2017 after a successful crowdfunding campaign. Since then we’ve built strong ties to the community, working hard to ensure we’re serving everyone’s needs.
With two beautiful screens and a stunning bar, we’re passionate about great films, delicious refreshments and genuine service, and want a trip to The Castle to be remarkable for all three.
We’re proud to have built a great team and organisational culture based on the following values:
Honest and generous; Friendly and informal; Diverse and inclusive.
We endeavour to reach a broad range of audiences, and we’ve developed five Community Goals:
- Improve access for disabled guests
- Develop underserved audiences
- Support and enhance education locally
- Nurture a diverse team
- Maintain an inclusive and thought-provoking programme for all
We particularly welcome and encourage candidates who reflect the demographics and lived experience of the local community, and those that are underrepresented in the arts. This includes people of African, Caribbean, South Asian, South East Asian, and Middle Eastern heritage, marginalised cultures and ethnicities, LGBTQ+ folk and those who are neurodiverse or disabled. We recognise that a diverse workforce benefits both our organisation and the community it serves. However, we don’t assume our staff represent anyone but themselves at work.
As the first people guests meet when visiting the cinema, our FOH team are responsible for ensuring everyone has an outstanding experience.
The role involves selling tickets and refreshments, ushering and cleaning, and assisting with other aspects of cinema operations as required.
(detailed paid training will be provided)
- Selling products in the bar / box office - providing a fantastic experience for guests and demonstrating a great knowledge of our films, memberships, drinks, food and merchandise.
- Serving drinks including coffee and cocktails, and basic food preparation such as popcorn, snacks and toasties. Keeping the bar stocked and well maintained.
- Delivering great customer comms - answering emails and phone calls promptly in a helpful and friendly manner, acting as first point of contact for The Castle.
- Ushering - checking tickets and directing guests. Upholding all H&S policies and procedures to ensure the experience is both enjoyable and safe.
- Being calm and flexible - ready to support the management if the unexpected occurs. This includes dealing promptly and politely with any disturbances or customer complaints.
- Cleaning - ensuring the cinema and bar is consistently presented to a high standard of cleanliness and tidiness. Regularly checking the toilets are in a clean and safe condition.
- Demonstrating excellent attention to detail in all aspects of your work, including securely handling cash and carefully managing stock inc. deliveries and wastage.
- Assisting with the setting up, operating and clearing away of private hires and events.
- Participating in all training activities, and contributing ideas and feedback during meetings and teamwork on shifts.
- Undertaking any other duties or activities as reasonably requested by management.
- Willingness to work a variety of shift patterns as required by the business needs, including regular evenings, weekends and holidays
- Committed and looking to grow with the business
- Friendly and enthusiastic attitude and able to work well in a team
- Punctual, presentable and reliable
- Proactive approach to solving problems
- Experience in a customer service role - ideally in a hospitality/retail environment
- Ability to work efficiently and calmly during pressured and busy periods of service
- The ability to communicate effectively with customers, team members and managers
- Right to work in the UK
- Experience of front of house activities within an arts venue
- Experience of basic stock control, including taking deliveries
- Experience working in a bar, pub or restaurant
- Experience making cocktails
- Experience making barista level coffee
- Experience in food preparation
- A passion for film
- Experience working with a membership or loyalty scheme, and upselling memberships
Terms & Conditions
Job title: Front of House
Reporting to: Duty Managers
Pay: £10.50 per hour
Hours: 25 hours minimum per week across five days including weekends and evenings (We also have variable hour positions available, with no minimum. Please let us know which you would prefer in your application)
Holiday entitlement: equivalent of 28 days per year (calculated pro rata)
Other benefits: Complimentary cinema tickets & bar discount
Christmas availability essential (We will be closed on Christmas Day)
Please send CVs and cover letters to: firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Front of House” in the subject line.
Please note: as a small team we may not be able to respond to every application. Thank you in advance for your interest.