Join us as Pitchblack Playback host the world premiere of Floating Points’ addition to the hallowed Late Night Tales compilation series. Hear this stunning 17-track collection loud, in full, in the dark from the comfort of one of our cosy armchairs.
Tickets available as well as ticket + limited edition white double LP vinyl bundles.
Floating Points’ personal collection of global soul, ambient, jazz and folk treasures form the latest in the warmly revered Late Night Tales series.
Sam Shepherd aka Floating Points’ music taste is notoriously tricky to define, ranging from ethereal classical at one end to coruscating techno at the other, united only in a firm belief in the transcendental power of music to move hearts, minds and – yes – feet. Similarly, his production career has ranged from early experiments in dance music with breakout records such as the ‘Shadows EP’ and collaborating with legendary Gnawa master Mahmoud Guinia to his expansive album ‘Elaenia’, which met with critical acclaim upon its release in 2015.
This Late Night Tales excursion into the depths of the evening reflects his broad tastes. The globally-travelled producer has collected untold treasures on his travels from dusty stores in Brazil to market stalls near his hometown. There’s the gorgeous ‘Via Làctea’, culled from Carlos Walker’s debut album, Abu Talib’s (Bobby Wright) plaintive ‘Blood Of An American’ and Robert Vanderbilt’s gospel reworking of Manchild’s ‘Especially For You’. Raw soul and feeling oozing from each song’s pores.
At the other end of the music scale are the modernists, such as Québécoise Kara-Lis Coverdale who weighs in with the indelible ‘Moments In Love’, Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith whose ‘Milk’ is an exercise in tranquility, while Sarah Davachi’s meditative mix-opener offers respite from a weary world.
”I’ve learnt about a lot of incredible music from listening to the Late Night Tales compilations over the years, so I jumped at the opportunity to compile one myself. The music is a selection of the kind of records I play to set the tone when DJing all night long.”
- Sam Shepherd (Floating Points), 2019
1. Sarah Davachi – Untitled, live in Portland (Exclusive track)
2. Carlos Walker - Via Láctea
3. The Rationals – Glowin’
4. William S. Fischer – Circle
5. Max Roach - Equipoise
6. Abu Talib (Bobby Wright) - Blood Of An American
7. Sweet & Innocent - Express Your Love
8. Robert Vanderbilt & The Foundation of Souls - A Message Especially From God
9. The Defaulters - Gentle Man
10. Alain Bellaïche – Sun Blues
11. Alain Bellaïche – Sea Fluorescent
12. Kara-Lis Coverdale – Moments In Love
13. Azimuth – The Tunnel
14. Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith – Milk
15. Toshimaru Nakamura – Nimb#59 (Exclusive track)
16. Floating Points – Sweet Time Suite Opening (Exclusive Kenny Wheeler cover version)
17. Lauren Laverne - Ah! Why, Because The Dazzling Sun (Exclusive spoken word piece)