Supervisor - Job Description
The Castle Cinema is an independent community cinema in Hackney, and the reincarnation of one of London’s earliest cinemas! Built in 1913 as The Castle Electric Theatre, the original cinema closed in 1958 but re-opened in 2017 after a successful crowdfunding campaign.
With two beautiful screens and a stunning bar, we’re passionate about great films, delicious refreshments and genuine service, and want a trip to The Castle to be remarkable for all three.
We’re proud to have built a great reputation with the following values:
Honest & generous; Friendly & informal; Diverse & inclusive.
As key members of the Front of House team, our supervisors are amongst the first people guests meet when visiting the cinema.They are responsible for ensuring everyone has an outstanding experience, and they support the Senior Managers, Duty Managers and Assistants, in the smooth running of the cinema.
There are three areas of responsibility within the Supervisor role
1. Front of House (every shift)
2. Supervisor (every shift)
3. Duty Management (cover shifts only)
1. Front of House Duties
Supervisors are responsible for completing all Front of House duties to the highest standard.
Please see here for the Front of House Job Description.
2. Supervisor Duties
As well as regular Front of House duties, Supervisors’ delegated responsibilities include:
- Knowledge of the business: Maintaining exceptional knowledge and understanding of The Castle Cinema’s policies, procedures, goals and objectives.
- Leadership: Providing guidance and training to Front of House staff members.
- Stock: Assisting with logging and receipting deliveries.
- F&B: Being responsible for food preparation and service, ensuring all toasties and pizzas are high quality. Providing leadership and training to FOH team members when preparing food, and ensuring food safety guidelines are met at all times.
- Events: Assisting in running events, including private hires and Q&As.
- Health and Safety: Ensuring the safety of employees and guests by complying with all statutory Health & Safety requirements, including maintaining a current Emergency First Aid At Work certificate.
- Projection: Assisting with daily projection duties when required. A supervisor will be confident playing content from all sources (DCPs & HDMI), as well as basic fault finding.
- Cleanliness: Managing daily cleaning duties.
- Contributing to the overall success and development of the Castle as a member of the core team.
- Being contactable on Slack Messenger and via phone where reasonable.
- Duty Management support: Undertaking relevant duties or tasks requested by a Duty Manager or senior team member.
- Keyholder Duties: Supervisors are trained on how to open and close the building, and they are expected to have their cinema key & alarm fob with them on every shift.
- Duty Management Cover: Supervisors may be assigned to cover Duty Manager shifts during busy periods, or periods of annual leave/sickness.
3. Duty Manager Responsibilities (cover shifts)
A ‘Duty Manager’ cover shift reflects the occasion where the Supervisor is the most senior member of staff on shift. A Supervisor may be scheduled in a Duty Manager shift in the monthly rota, or required to provide Duty Management cover at late notice.
Additional responsibilities during a Duty Manager cover shift include:
Securely opening and closing the building.
Completing reports as required during shifts.
Being contactable on Slack Messenger and via phone for the entirety of the shift.
Reporting to Senior Management throughout the shift.
Monitoring the dutymanager@ email account.
Using and processing Petty Cash via Dext.
Monitoring the rota: reporting lateness, illness and arranging cover when required.
Ensuring Front of House breaks are taken.
Dealing with customer complaints and issues in a calm and helpful manner.
Using ‘Sales Admin’ to deal with box office issues and requests.
Reporting relevant information to the Senior Managers about building maintenance and operational issues.
Overseeing all projection duties and responsibilities, completing ad-hoc projection tasks when required. This may include downloading and ingesting content, testing films, editing and scheduling playlists on TMS and creating DCPs.
Leading hire recces.
Upholding systems and processes to prevent loss and to ensure the security of cash, assets, guests and employees at all times.
Familiarity with operating CCTV.
Ad-hoc marketing tasks when required.
Ad-hoc programming tasks when required. This may include creating and scheduling films on Event Management.
Undertaking any other duties or activities as reasonably requested by management.
(Comprehensive training will be provided for all tasks and responsibilities)
Supervisors work no less than 25 hours a week, though it may be more particularly when covering Duty Management shifts. The hours will typically be split across 5 days. Shifts will include evening and weekend work with at least two shifts will be required every week between Fri - Mon.
Excellent customer service skills, with a calm and polite demeanour
Availability and willingness to work a variety of shift patterns as required by the business needs, including evenings, weekends and public holidays.
Friendly and positive attitude, and able to work well in a team
Punctual, presentable and reliable
Keen attention to detail
A proactive approach to solving problems
Demonstrable excellent customer service skills
Strong and effective communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively with customers, employees and senior managers
Confident with Windows, Mac and Google Docs
- Looking to learn and grow within the company
- Previous experience in a supervisory or leadership role
- Experience and knowledge of Health and Safety practice
- Previous experience preparing and serving food
- Previous experience working in a bar or other hospitality/customer service environment
- Personal licence for alcohol sales
- Projection and technical knowledge
- Current Emergency First Aid at Work certificate
- Food Hygiene certificate
Terms & Conditions
Job title: Supervisor
Reporting to: Duty Managers
Manager of: Front of House (during Duty Management cover shifts)
Hours: Minimum 25 hours/week. Including regular weekend and evening work.
Holiday entitlement: equivalent of 28 days per year (calculated pro rata)
Other benefits: complimentary tickets to screenings and events in the cinema, 50% discount on food and drink at the bar.
Contract: permanent, subject to a three month probationary period
Please send CVs and cover letters to: email@example.com and include “Supervisor” in the subject line.
Please note: as a small team we may not be able to respond to every application. Thank you in advance for your interest.
Last updated: 5th May 2022