Maintenance & Compliance Administrator - Job Description
The Castle Cinema is an independent community cinema in Hackney, and the reincarnation of one of London’s earliest cinemas! Built in 1913 as The Castle Electric Theatre, the original cinema closed in 1958 but re-opened in 2017 after a successful crowdfunding campaign. Since then we’ve built strong ties to the community, working hard to ensure we’re serving everyone’s needs.
With two beautiful screens and a stunning bar, we’re passionate about great films, delicious refreshments and genuine service, and want a trip to The Castle to be remarkable for all three.
We’re proud to have built a great team and organisational culture based on the following values:
Honest and generous - Friendly and informal - Diverse and inclusive.
We endeavour to reach a broad range of audiences, and we’ve developed five Community Goals:
Improve access for disabled guests - Develop underserved audiences - Support and enhance education locally - Nurture a diverse team - Maintain an inclusive and thought-provoking programme for all
A diverse workforce benefits both our organisation and the community it serves, and we encourage candidates who reflect the local community, and those underrepresented in the arts. This includes marginalised cultures and ethnicities, LGBTQ+ folk and those who are neurodiverse or disabled.
We’re looking for a Maintenance & Compliance Administrator to join our team and help maintain our beautiful venue. They need to be highly organised with great attention to detail, and adept at understanding practical & technical challenges and delegating to appropriate contractors or teammates.
Their duties will include checks and repairs to equipment, general building maintenance, organising contractors, managing projects, monitoring energy use, and testing the fire and security systems.
They will be expected to log and track information effectively, and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
Objectives & Responsibilities
This is a guide to the nature of the work. It’s not restrictive and other responsibilities may be added.
- Engage and manage contractors and service contracts.
- Upkeep all building services systems and equipment, minimising downtime.
- Manage repairs and planned preventative maintenance (PPM) programmes.
- Oversee cinema-specific maintenance and other technical jobs as required.
- Ensure spreadsheets and other systems are updated for accurate reporting and compliance.
- Work with the Duty Managers to ensure the highest standards of presentation throughout the building.
- Maintain good relationships with stakeholders including insurance, statutory, fire and local authorities.
- Good environmental management - improving energy consumption and equipment efficiency.
- Manage costs and resources effectively, achieving savings and procuring competitively.
- Undertake ad hoc administrative work as required.
- Develop efficient working relationships with all teams and third parties.
- Uphold all Castle policies eg Customer Care, Access, H&S, EDI and Sustainability (training provided).
- Attend meetings and training when required.
- Undertake any other duties reasonably requested by the management.
Essential skills and experience
- Highly organised and able to prioritise effectively, balancing long-term vs immediate objectives
- Flawless attention to detail and an excellent record-keeper
- A problem-solver who researches good solutions and sees things through to completion
- Ability to quickly understand technical issues so they can liaise effectively with relevant parties
- Competency in Microsoft Office / Google Docs software
- Good communication skills, and ability to interpret technical information for non-specialists
- Health and safety conscious, with First Aid training (this can be provided)
- Ability to appraise systems and processes, developing and implementing changes to increase efficiency
- Charming & persuasive - able to get the most out of even the most stubborn contractor!
Desirable skills and experience
- Experience in a related role
- Experience managing building maintenance issues
- Knowledge of building / energy management systems and improving environmental sustainability
- Experience managing suppliers / contractors and budgets
- Knowledge of current Health and Safety, Licensing legislation, and related compliance
Terms & Conditions
Job title: Maintenance & Compliance Administrator
Reporting to: Senior Managers, Cinema Directors
Pay: £25k p/a pro rata
Hours: Minimum of 16 hours (2 days) per week. Potential for up to 40 hours some weeks, if that suits. Happy to discuss fixed hours, ideally after three months so we can review together.
Working days / times: Emphasis on mornings when meeting contractors, as this is when the screens are empty and maintenance causes the least disruption.
Holiday entitlement: equivalent of 28 days per year, pro rata
Other benefits: complimentary tickets to screenings, 50% discount on select food and drink at the bar.
Contract: permanent, subject to a three month probationary period
Location: Homerton, East London. Some remote working possible, but majority of time to be spent at the cinema
Please send CVs and cover letters to: email@example.com and include “Maintenance & Compliance Administrator” in the subject line. Cover letters should be no more than one page, and outline why you’d like to work with The Castle. Also complete our diversity monitoring survey: https://forms.gle/4uAP4Z8mqpk9j6Ns9
Deadline for applications: Midnight, 25th Sept. There will be two interview stages, one remote and one in person.
Start Date: Ideally in October. There will be training/orientation days as part of the on-boarding process.
Please note: as a small team we may not be able to respond to every application, if you haven’t heard back from us by 7th Oct this means your application has been unsuccessful. Thank you in advance for your interest.
Last updated: 25th Aug 2022